Like many people I have taken a real interest in reducing the amount of toxins in the home, both in products we use for cleansing and for products we use on ourselves. If there are natural, alternative options to using chemicals that harm our environment and may harm our health then I think that it is only sensible that we try them.
One of the main problems I have had with switching to a more natural cleaning products for surfaces, bathrooms, windows etc is that they nearly all involve White Vinegar and I have to say I just can’t stand the smell. One of the best things about cleaning is not just looking and being clean, but it is also that it smells clean, so I was very happy to discover that plain old clear vodka can be just as good and can be infused with all sorts of lovely, magical herbs to make it smell great and in turn your home. Here are a few of my favorite recipes that you can make and use for de-greasing cookware, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning windows and generally cleaning surfaces.
Citrus Vodka Cleaner
- 325ml Vodka (half a bottle)
- 1 whole lemon peel
- 1 whole orange peel
- Just let the lemon and orange peel sit in the half bottle or jar of vodka for a few weeks.
- The citric acid from the peels will be extracted to the vodka creating a vibrant fruity scent.
- After a few weeks strain and transfer to a spray bottle.
Thyme & Rosemary Vodka Cleaner
- 325ml Vodka (just get the cheapest clear vodka available!)
- 1 small handful of Thyme
- 1 small handful of Rosemary
- The same as above but you only need to infuse this overnight.
- You may have a green tinged liquid and that’s fine, just use it on hard surfaces only
This is best used as a kitchen and bathroom cleaner, and as Rosemary is an herb of cleansing and purification and Thyme is great used in the home to dispel melancholy, uselessness and other negative energies this is a wonderfully magical combination and is my favorite.